Monday, January 22, 2024

Blog Post #1

   Top 5 Sources of News and Information

    As an 18-year old who will be voting in a major election for the first time this year, I have been working on prioritizing my knowledge of current events. I find I am hesitant at times, to trust what I see in the media, and it can be very difficult to discern the truth from fake news. I only recently joined the social media world and it’s very easy to be misinformed by an eye-catching post or video from an unreliable source. I look forward to learning about my peers' favorite news sources so I am able to begin expanding my knowledge and feel confident in what opinions I hold and share.

#1 Morning Wire

A source I rely on and visit almost daily, is the  Morning Wire. It is a podcast presented by Daily Wire Editor-in-Chief, John Bickley and co-host Georgia Howe. It shares the latest updates on politics, education, sports, culture, etc. I’ve been a listener for about a year and I enjoy listening to the 10-15 minute episodes on the way to classes or the gym. It’s a fast and convenient way for me to stay up to date on information about what is going on. It covers news on schools across America, the Israel-Hamas War, background information on a Netflix special regarding a murder case, candidates and debates for our upcoming presidential election, and more. They bring on guests that specialize on the certain topics they may be discussing each day and have many contributors/reporters that regularly speak including Cabot Phillips, Megan Basham, Amanda Prestigiacomo, Tim Pearce, and David Marcus. They launched their first episode Monday July 19th, 2021, and have been releasing new episodes daily, as well as short afternoon updates.

#2 Instagram

As I mentioned before, I am relatively new to social media, and downloaded Instagram for the first time about two and half years ago. While it can be a rumor and fabricated news filled platform, it can be reliable if used with caution. For example, during one of my first few scrolls I came across a video of what I thought to be a rare moose with albinism that I shared with my mom, an avid moose lover. To my disappointment, my mom noticed the video had been edited and it was in fact just a plain, old, normal moose. To avoid similar embarrassing interactions, when I scroll through posts now and come across celebrity or political updates that interest me, I dig deeper. I visit the information’s source, or find the real one, and confirm the reality of it; sometimes this includes a short search on Safari and visits to other online sources. I also rely on news organizations profiles whose posts have a small introduction into an update and provide a link to a full story anyone can take advantage of and access.

#3 CNN

CNN or the Cable News Network, is a news channel founded in 1980. They have a website that provides stories on topics such as Entertainment, Business, the United States, Health, Politics, Sports, etc. I often refer to their site when I'm researching for my scripts for Vision club, the news organization on campus. They constantly release short, up to date articles that are a fast read and full of useful information. I have recently used it to stay updated on the caucuses being held for the upcoming presidential election. They directly quote their sources and are found to be relatively unbiased.

#4 WFMY News 2

   

Another source I rely on when writing my Vision scripts is the WFMY News 2 website. The station serves as the CBS affiliate for the Piedmont Triad region. While being aware of our country’s current events is very important, so is knowing what is happening here in North Carolina, especially the Greensboro and High Point Area. I like to be aware of local crime and the site offers news stories, weather updates, and NC sport’s scores/schedules. Just today I learned our area would be receiving another blast of arctic air this weekend, which I am not looking forward to. The articles are rather short and they also have many featured videos if someone may prefer more visual aids.

#5 Wikipedia

When I’m in need of a quick answer I often turn to Wikipedia. With most searches, a small Wikipedia section appears to the right with a short explanation. While it is edited by volunteers which can negatively affect its reliability, it is free and accessible.  I wouldn't reference the site on important classwork as there are far more credible resources to turn to, but it offers information on almost every topic and can be useful in simple social conversations. I appreciate how each page is organized by small sections which are easy to navigate.

No comments:

Post a Comment